Fill me up, Lord

"You will seek me, & find me when you seek me w/ all your heart," God says. But that is not the whole story. I'm not just a searcher. I'm also a hider. You too. We have to come face-to-face w/ our tendency to hide, to get lost. ~John Ortberg, Love Beyond Reason

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Mindful Living is NOT a chore...

Dr. Michelle May, author of "Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat", posed this question today, "Can you think of cooking as part of mindful eating instead of as a chore?"

I REALLY struggle with organization. So cooking is a nightmare for me. The planning, the grocery shopping, the prep work, the serving, the putting away. Just thinking about it now makes my chest feel very tight.

CHOKING EVERYWHERE.
Why do I let my anxiety choke?

Why do I ask why?
I decided to just sit back and observe the sensation.

Guess what. Geneen Roth was right.
Sometimes feelings just want to be acknowledged.
Sometimes you have to greet your anxiety, move over, and make a place for it.
Then you can go about your business.

Dr. May goes on to say that,

"At times, cooking feels like a chore you have to get through.
However, no matter how mundane ANY task is,
there is an opportunity to be fully present and mindful.

When you interact with the ingredients that fuel your body using all of your senses, you discover the peace and joy of the present moment.

Start with small steps like slicing an apple and smearing on peanut butter.
See, touch, smell, listen, and taste
while noticing the little things
that are so often missed in our rush
to get to the next activity!
Savor and enjoy!"

So, cooking can be a spiritual event if we let it.

For more information about Dr. May, you can go to her website at:
http://www.amihungry.net/

4 Comments:

  • At 9:45 PM, January 10, 2011, Blogger Catherine said…

    Yup! I hate cooking but I do try this. I did it with washing dishes when I lived in Roach Land and didn't have a dishwasher too. Spiritual disciplines can be found everywhere, even when you don't have spare time!

     
  • At 9:57 PM, January 10, 2011, Blogger Literacygirl said…

    Yes, finding the sacred in the ordinary. (and being present with it.)

     
  • At 4:12 PM, January 11, 2011, Anonymous Michele @ Healthy Cultivations said…

    I believe cooking can feel very spiritual. The thing I've learned about cooking is that I enjoy it when I focus not on the tasks but rather on the larger picture of what I'm doing... preparing nourishing food that's good for my body and my soul too. Focusing on the good I'm doing is a tremendous benefit.

     
  • At 6:28 PM, January 11, 2011, Blogger Literacygirl said…

    Michele, thanks for dropping by. I really enjoy your Mindful Eating posts. I think looking at the bigger picture is key. I really struggle with organization, so maybe this will give me a more positive outlook.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home