Fill me up, Lord

"You will seek me, & find me when you seek me w/ all your heart," God says. But that is not the whole story. I'm not just a searcher. I'm also a hider. You too. We have to come face-to-face w/ our tendency to hide, to get lost. ~John Ortberg, Love Beyond Reason

Monday, June 16, 2008

Heartbreak & Lemonade

I started reading "The Shack" after my mentor recommended it. She warned me that she loved some parts of it, and simply disagreed with other points. Father God is an African-American woman, the Holy Spirit is an Asian young woman, and Jesus alledgedly a "not attractive" male, to the surprise of the narrator.

After Chuck Colson bashed it, I REALLY wanted to read it. I did, but the beginning was just too terribly heartbreaking/gruesome, and for now I have put it down. However, this morning on MOODY, they were discussing it, and mentioned that the program Haven Today, will be doing a three-day special on it. I plan on listening. 9pm CST. Apparently, some Christians are a little wary of his portrayal of the Trinity, meaning they believe it is not totally theologically correct. But the speaker on Moody, said yes some will find it controversial, but it is not outside of orthodoxy. You have to keep in mind that the author is not a theologian, and never intended it to be published. He just wrote it for his immediate family, but it grew.... and has been on the Amazon & New York Times best-seller lists ever since, read by believers and seekers alike.

I started reading "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult, as it was highly recommended by my collegues at work. I read her book "My Sister's Keeper", and it was amazing. Well, "The Pact" was just too depressing and again heartbreaking.

My Aunt J just gave me a copy of the book "Mistaken Identity" to borrow. It's about the tragedy that took place at Taylor University, where they misidentified the bodies, and had a funeral for the wrong girl. Maybe I will read that next.

PS: Have you tried the frozen lemonade at Panera Bread? It is amazing, and only 120 calories.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:52 PM, June 29, 2008, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey Literacygirl! I ran across your blog for the first time today because we share a favorite (I'm knew at this and just realized I can link to other's blogs by clicking on my favorites...duh). I started to read The Shack, also, but haven't finished. I was temporarily sidetracked by a couple of books written by Steven James--Story, and Sailing Between the Stars--absolutely wonderful stuff! I'd like to hear what you think of The Shack. I live in the Wierd and Wonderful World of the Western Suburbs, as well. I picked this book up because I think MOODY radio can be a bit judgemental sometimes (not always--is that non-committal enough?).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home