Fill me up, Lord

"You will seek me, & find me when you seek me w/ all your heart," God says. But that is not the whole story. I'm not just a searcher. I'm also a hider. You too. We have to come face-to-face w/ our tendency to hide, to get lost. ~John Ortberg, Love Beyond Reason

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Untitled

I am pondering whether I should title this "Don't Judge a Book by it's Cover" or "First Impressions".

First impressions although sometimes erronously made, are nevertheless lasting ones. So be yourself & put forth a positive impression. On the other hand, when you get a facial, and it's a Chinese male without any teeth, hold judgement.

So, the last two weeks I've gotten into this routine of after going to church on Sunday going to Whole Foods.

Reason #1 I love their samples.
Cath- I think you said once that in college when the dorm didn't serve supper on Sunday nights, you and F would just "eat" at Whole Foods.

Reason #2
It forces me to shop for the week. It ensures I have food in the house. I don't know why but when I start running out of food, it never occurs to me to go grocery shopping. I just start eating out for every meal. Until I am so mad at myself for doing that and then "Ding! The refridgerator light in my head turns on, and I go shop. But I usually shop for like 3 weeks worth, and then I run out, and thus the cycle continues. STOP THE INSANTIY! I needed a day of the week to make my shopping a routine in my weekly schedule. But after work I am so exhausted I always want to go straight home. Which leads to #3....

Reason #3
It is right on the way home from church. You can't miss it. There is no way to avoid going by it.

Reason #4
I buy 3 containers of cut up fruit there. Yes, it is a waste of money, but otherwise people I wouldn't be eating fruit, unless you count jello & yogurt as fruit servings.
My current favorite is a mix of blackberries, raspberries, & strawberries. I also get kiwi & strawberries. Last week I tried grapes. Eh. Boring. I NEVER GET MELON unless I am feeling guilty about the price.

Okay back to the beginning of this entry....
A woman kind of cut me off when we were both entering the store with are cart. I apologized and she just kind of scowled and had an ugly look about her. Later I was buying some rolled oats... I saw her getting flax seed, which for some reason has always intrigued me. (Does it have omega-3s? I forget...) Anywho, I asked her if she put it in yogurt or cereal or something. Her face just lit up and smiled and explained she was so used to taking it (1 tbsp. a day) she just swallowed it with water. (Editor's Note: how boring!). But anyway, I assume what feelings other people are having, whereas as a result of the conversation I could see that she was just shy and that was probably why she didn't interact with me earlier. So don't try to intpret other people based on 1 slight collision at Whole Foods. We actually had a nice conversation...

1 Comments:

  • At 2:27 PM, October 30, 2007, Blogger Catherine said…

    This is a great story!

    I totally support you spending too much money on cut up fruit. This is the equation I use.

    Price of less expensive but also less convenient item = Cost + X (where X is the possibility of not getting any at all).

    So, when we're at the store and I see something and M says "we could get it cheaper if we went to such and such a store" I insist that we figure into the price the possibility of NOT going to such and such a store (or not cutting it up, or whatever) and it nearly always ends up making more sense to get it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home