Fill me up, Lord

"You will seek me, & find me when you seek me w/ all your heart," God says. But that is not the whole story. I'm not just a searcher. I'm also a hider. You too. We have to come face-to-face w/ our tendency to hide, to get lost. ~John Ortberg, Love Beyond Reason

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Beautiful sites and broken people

Yesterday I visited my old haunting grounds of Zion, IL. It was so fun to be back... to visit my old apartment, see my old school, see the amazing changes to the downtown area. My friend B and I also walked up to Illinois Beach State Park. It was so nice to walk and sit and stare at Lake Michigan with the wind oh so gently tousling my hair. I am a water baby. I wish I lived near water. Well, I do. But it's a nasty retention pond.

I heard news of old "clients". Found out that a student from my 1st year of teaching, who is now a senior in HS was recently arrested for prostitution and had been associated with gangs, and was apparently their little sexual play thing. I don't really know what to say about that.

I remember her as a very quiet girl, sometimes a bit sneaky. We had had suspiscions of things of the above nature going on at home, but whenever she was questioned, she denyed it, and seemed sincere.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:14 PM, July 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry. Very sad to hear things like this. I keep hearing more and more of these stories. So many kids fall through the cracks of the system.

    I think they really do need some sort of Angel to look out for them...maybe more of the human variety. I fee; that we really are our brother's keeper. Especially when it comes to kids, or people who are too vulnerable to protect themselves.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home