Fill me up, Lord

"You will seek me, & find me when you seek me w/ all your heart," God says. But that is not the whole story. I'm not just a searcher. I'm also a hider. You too. We have to come face-to-face w/ our tendency to hide, to get lost. ~John Ortberg, Love Beyond Reason

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

God is our Gatorade

There is a Gatorade commercial right now that says, "IS 'IT' IN YOU????". Well, according to this commercial, most of us don't have it IN US ready to compete. Thus the Gatorade.

But really.... GOD is our Gatorade!
I believe He is the red kind. My favorite is Mountain Ice.

I am not on a spiritual high or valley, rather in the plains-which is okay.

However, I'd like to hike upward a bit.

Which means remaining in HIM, which results in the Holy Spirit unleashing His power. (When did the Holy Ghost go out of being en vogue?) This allows the Holy Spirit to give us vitality, living water, passion, empowerment, etc. Drawing close, allows God to give us the power to demonstrate the fruits of the spirit.

When I think about growing in my relationship with God, I think about spending time with Him through prayer, solitude & reading the Word.
1. Is God accessible only at Starbucks? If so, then I have to pay $3 to talk to Him? Need to find other places, or learn to find God in my own environment. But we really do have our best talks at a coffeeshop.
2. Sometimes I do too much "goal setting" with my devotional time with Him. It can become so legalistic for me. Right now, I have 2 more weeks of small group study, I have an advent booklet I'd like to follow, and I am reading Luke as I am reading through the Gospels this season, and plus LUKE=CHRISTMAS STORY! I need to make sure that I do some, rather than NOTHING. (I get discouraged if I don't do it ALL perfectly, and give up.)

It's not about doing, it's about being. And yet in order to be, we must do some doing.

PS-I saw THE NATIVITY this weekend! It was so, so incredible. Shhh... I cried twice! After viewing it I commented, "I wonder if there is a sequel. What happens next?". My friend replied, "Dear, that's called The Passion of the Christ!" If you ask an obnoxious question, you get an obnoxious answer.


Two final thoughts.....
Robert Mullholand said something to the effect of:
"As Christians we live
FOR God,
And IN the world.

When we ought to live IN God
FOR the world..."

I am so stricken by the connection and relationship between Christmas and Easter, especially when I head Handel's Messiah. The power of Easter is in Christmas. It's not about his birth. It's about having a Redeemer.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:55 AM, December 11, 2006, Blogger Matthew Westerholm said…

    Thanks for visiting my blog, literacygirl. It was wonderful to visit your corner of cyberspace.

    Nothing wrong crying about the incarnation, either. You're not alone (though I haven't seen the movie). Anyone who really understands what was happening should weep tears of joy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home