Fill me up, Lord

"You will seek me, & find me when you seek me w/ all your heart," God says. But that is not the whole story. I'm not just a searcher. I'm also a hider. You too. We have to come face-to-face w/ our tendency to hide, to get lost. ~John Ortberg, Love Beyond Reason

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Baptism & Japanese Gardens

I heart Bible Study!!! I am so glad I was able to make it this evening.

It was a great discussion, and it makes me wonder more about the baptism issue. I know what I was grown up to believe, but I'd like to investigate it more, & find out what I (& respected other Christian leaders!) think what scripture says.

I think this can be a minor or major issue amongst Christians, and historically it has really divided the church.

For me (at this time) it is not a huge issues, and I feel like I can worship and have community amongst others with differing views.

If anyone knows of or has resources (besides the Bible) that address this issue, I'd love names, titles, authors, etc.


Okay this is more of the same, but worth repeating: (from Janet Folger:) Life is about finding your worth & identity in Christ (Yes, yes... God loving us, We love God, we love others, we love ourselves, but that is a different blog for another day.)

It also talks about trying identify the lies the world tells us, the lies we tell ourselves, and how we need to retrain our mind so that we erase those past & present lives, and use the Truth of Scripture to counteract & abolish these Lies of Satan that are ingrained in our head as we experience the consequences of sin from others, from ourselves, and from the Earth itself.

I don't think I can really comprehend the depth of sin's impact upon the world. It is so enormous. It makes me wonder what it would have been like if we had no sin (not going to happen as people are selfish and wanting to make themselves more important than God.

I guess we will find out in Heaven - a New Earth!

I hope it includes water slides that aren't too scary; raspberry bushes we can pick from; a Japanese garden, and water: the perfect temperature; clean; drinkable; and the prettiest blues & greens among the waves. Fathers walking with their sons skipping rocks into the ocean. Finally, NOBODY (even though are bodies will be renewed) will be allowed to wear a bikini or a G-string. Tankinis are acceptable. And your suit needs to cover your derriere. Men will be outlawed from Speedos.

My friend Step told me once, "I hope heaven includes neverending books."!

I wonder what kind of jobs we will have in heaven. Remember, even in the Garden of Eden their were jobs to complete and invest in. God did create us to do His work.
We did a whole book report/study on the subject of God's view of work. It was in my Survey of New Testament class, taught by Prof. Alexanian. He was a legend there, but he wasn't great with managing a class of loud & wild crew of freshman! The people who took his upper level Bible classes raved about him.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:04 PM, September 12, 2006, Blogger Bill said…

    If you really want to know for certain the purpose of Baptism then go to the blog listed below



    http://baptismwhatisit.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 3:51 PM, September 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This was a very different type of post. Cool! A combo of seriousness and some whimsy :) I like your description of Heaven. I'd like a Japaneese Garden and several different types of Gardens. I also hope that chocolate will be available ;-)

    Seriously, it was an interesting post. Your own vision of heaven reminded me of the book "These Lovely Bones" and of a song called-"In My Heaven" by Mary Chapin Carpenter.

    Regarding baptism-I don't know. If you pray what I've heard called "The Sinner's Prayer" and invite Jesus into your heart than you are supposed to be saved. I don't know if that's true or not....Maybe it varies according to church/denominations and their principals?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home