Fill me up, Lord

"You will seek me, & find me when you seek me w/ all your heart," God says. But that is not the whole story. I'm not just a searcher. I'm also a hider. You too. We have to come face-to-face w/ our tendency to hide, to get lost. ~John Ortberg, Love Beyond Reason

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Seeking Him: Experiencing Revival: Truth Encounter

My Thoughts & Notes from:
Seeking Him: Experiencing the Joy of Personal Revival;
by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
Lesson 3: Honesty: Silence is Not Always Golden

Day 2: Truth Encounter: Honest to God

Literacygirl writes: I don't want to hide my wrongdoings before the Lord. I need to get real, and I need help from the Lord. I don't want to lie to myself about my real worth and my very real sin.
Nancy Leigh DeMoss writes: Be honest with God about some sin or failure in your life.
Literacygirl writes: gossip; spending $ I don't have, instead of using the amount of God-given resources that I have been blessed with; hatred/unforgiveness/bitterness in my heart; not fully trusting God with all areas of my life; not putting God in 1st place in my life; putting garbage from television and magazines in my mind.

Day 3: Truth Encounter: Walking in the Light

Literacygirl writes: Before I take intentional time to enter the presence of God, I need to assess my heart, confess, acknowledge wrongdoing, and ask for forgiveness. I need to "get right with God" do have true community and relationship with God.

Not really doing that at this time...usually I just pray about my wants, or just give a quickie shout-out to God about helping me while reading/meditating on the Word in terms of interpretation/application.

Day 4 Truth Encounter: Breaking the Silence Thoughts
Nancy Leigh DeMoss writes: Our natural instinct is to avoid telling the truth about ourselves. Adam & Eve made the same futile attempt. After partaking of that which God had forbidden, Adam & Eve lost their innocence and discovered their guilt -and their nakedness. Immediately then went into concealment mode -sewing together fig leaves and looking for ways to blend into the landscape.
(Genesis 3:8-9)

Literacygirl writes: How do we "blend into the landscape" today?

I would love your thoughts on this issue.

The only thing I could come up with was that we do this by:
-by comparing our sins to others'
-trying to avoid thinking about our sin/being in denial
-having too much sinful pride
-by being silent (A lie of omission is still a lie.)
-by staying away from God (I am REALLY good at this absurd technique)

Day 5 Thoughts...

Nancy Leigh DeMoss writes: Do I see my sin as God sees it, or do I tend to think in terms of "weaknesses," "problems," "slip-ups,", or "personality quirks"?
Literacygirl writes: OUCH!

Nancy Leigh DeMoss writes: Am I guilty of speaking graciously to others while harboring hatred or bitterness in my heart toward them?
Literacygirl writes: Yikes, God is speaking to me YET again on this issue! Keep on working on it!

Nancy Leigh DeMoss writes:
Do I put up walls to keep people from seeing the "real me"?
Am I willing to:
~let others into my life;
~be honest about my spiritual needs;
~to ask for prayer about those needs;
~to be accountable to others for areas where I need to grow or change?
Literacygirl writes: I am able to be somewhat authentic with one good friend, but I feel with others it is only met with silence, indifference, or shallow Christian cliches. I don't feel supported when I share and try to be vulnerable. Perhaps I am judging others' responses & reactions.


Again.....
How do we "blend into the landscape" today?
Remember.... I would love your thoughts on this issue.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:05 AM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Posh Lady said…

    Jeep - I think I blend into the landscape by ministering to others. Sort of like someone said at Women of Faith...the easiest place to hide is in Christian ministry. Although I have grown in this area it is still easy for me to take a back seat when I'm leading something and let the participants speak instead of opening up about where I am hurting or struggling. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home