Fill me up, Lord

"You will seek me, & find me when you seek me w/ all your heart," God says. But that is not the whole story. I'm not just a searcher. I'm also a hider. You too. We have to come face-to-face w/ our tendency to hide, to get lost. ~John Ortberg, Love Beyond Reason

Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Sanding Down of the Sharp Edges

I (Jill) am still dealing with the "turning 30" thing....
I liked this article, it's titled "Anne Lamott on Jesus".
*She has a 2-part interview on beliefnet.com. I encourage you to check her out.
Her books are on my "to do" list. (Traveling Mercies, Bird By Bird, etc.)

Anne says,

"I have a part of me--the part that isn't neurotic and grasping and furious and begging--a part of me that is a very quiet, more mature, slightly wiser self. That has sprung very much from having lost a few people that I absolutely and simply couldn't survive without. And that has come from the early hardships I experienced as a single mother without any money and a colicky infant. And then a bigger boy.

That wisdom has sprung mostly from getting older and realizing, you know, the Rolling Stones said, "You don't always get what you want, but you get what you need."

My experience is that you don't always get what you want. But you get what you get. As you get older, you start to work with what you're getting instead of crossing your arms bitterly because you didn't get what you wanted. "OK, here we are. A new twenty-four hours is starting right now, and this is what we've got on our hands now."

Age is just such an incredible blessing, the softening and the rounding of corners. And the sort of meat-tenderizing effects of aging. Like being a stone in the river – the sanding down of the sharp edges."

2 Comments:

  • At 12:48 AM, July 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    30 Is Young. I just didn't know it when I turned it ;-) I really wish I had know or felt that way or someone had bothered to reassure me I wasn't on a Downhill slide ;-) I dreaded it at 29 due to not wanting to leave my 20's behind....like I was immediately going to turn into an "old person." LOL. Also, partly due to "brilliant" remarks, Example- A doctor no less saying "Oh-pushing 30 are we"? in this sarcastic way when he looked at my chart. Sorry, but the guy was wrong (and in my opinion a jerk) even if he was a doctor. He was also around 70, so I wonder how anyone 70 could think that 30 was "Getting Old"????

    Just my opinion.Society is really strange/weirded out about age and if you're not careful...it will pass the fear on to you. I'm finding that my 30's are much easier than my 20's. I would not live my 20's over again for anything. Too much false expectatations from life, others and me and too much wanting to be perfect-Yeah right ;-) for myself.

    The only way I'd want my 20's back is if I could do it...Totally Differently-like pratically Everything ;-) Bye Bye 29-Good Riddance :)

     
  • At 8:36 PM, August 03, 2006, Blogger Catherine said…

    Traveling Mercies is fantastic, you can borrow mine. Her book "Plan B" is NOT good, don't bother to read it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home