Fill me up, Lord

"You will seek me, & find me when you seek me w/ all your heart," God says. But that is not the whole story. I'm not just a searcher. I'm also a hider. You too. We have to come face-to-face w/ our tendency to hide, to get lost. ~John Ortberg, Love Beyond Reason

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Can Christians Be Democrats?

EXCELLENT article to read re: Can Christians Be Democrats?? And what effect that standing up for a neutral/or different view other than the Republican view can have on a congregation.

The article is very interesting and well written. It was in yesterday's NY Times - available online. The article is entitled "Disowning Conservative Politics, Evangelical Pastor Rattles Flock"

This article is about a sermon series by Greg Boyd at Woodland Hills Church in Minnesota - where he basically says Christians shouldn't be Republican or Democrat. Basically while he is in his own words, no liberal, he says that when Christians win the culture wars they inevitably lose. It is an interesting article. Take a look.

I was raised to be purple.
(which I think in this day and age is rare, & a credit to my parents)
I tend to vote occasionally blue, & mostly red...
but I never vote based on party.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/disowning-conservative-politics-is/20060729195809990004

If the link doesn't work try:
Disowning Conservative Politics Is Costly for Pastor
By LAURIE GOODSTEIN, The New York Times

2 Comments:

  • At 11:32 PM, July 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I read the article yesterday. I don't know a lot about ministers or churches, but this man seems to have genuine faith, integrity and a sense of fair play. I would also like to attend a service of his and learn from him.

    He just seems like a good man too. Hope that God turns his loss(the people and the financial help) into gain...that things work out for him and the people who attend his church. A person's politics should not mean a person is good or bad. Kudos to him for having the guts to be honest...and take the consequences. Very, very Rare.

     
  • At 8:33 PM, August 03, 2006, Blogger Catherine said…

    I'd like to ask -- can a Christian be Republican?? Because if the answer is yes, I certainly don't see how. I don't think that either Dem or Rep values match up very well with Christ values. The fact that Rep values have become so intermingled with so-called "Christian" values is, I think, a tragedy and something the American church will take a long time to recover from.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home