Fill me up, Lord

"You will seek me, & find me when you seek me w/ all your heart," God says. But that is not the whole story. I'm not just a searcher. I'm also a hider. You too. We have to come face-to-face w/ our tendency to hide, to get lost. ~John Ortberg, Love Beyond Reason

Friday, May 19, 2006

Decluttering malice/deceit/hypocrisy/envy/slander

I Peter 2: 1-3
Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of any kind. Like newborn babies, crave spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

Quite a bit there...
Through my e-mail conversations w/ my small group, it seems like we have been very intentionally about her time in the actual SCRIPTURES this week. I am so encouraged by that ladies! I appreciate the updates and the reminders.

So, I need to rid myself of all:
malice: ill-will toward others; for me this comes from jealousy/revenge;

deceit: LIES! I used to be a compulsive liar. I was so good at it!!! I need to remove the lies that I tell myself that are not true. I need to counteract them with God's truth. God's truth says that I am God's child, I am wanted, I am worthy, I am beautiful, I have gifts, I am chosen, & I am loved.

hypocrisy: I see this as Christians judging other groups of Christians for the way they worship and commune with God, and how they live out Jesus in their life. Or if one group is said to be judgmental or uppity, and then another group complains about this bitterly, then whose to say the second group is just has judgmental as the first group. Sheesh! Sin is sin. Call a spade a spade.

envy: not having the expected relationship; having to struggle w/ the thorns in my life; wanting someone else's life; I so need to remember that I have God's best. My selfishness and control say otherwise.

slander: not putting down people who have wronged you

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home